Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Galileo's Daughter

Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and LoveGalileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love by Dava Sobel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I appreciate Firstread for giving me the opportunity to review this novel.



I'm being generous round this rating up to 4 stars. I would more likely give this one 3.5 stars but because it was so well written I rounded up. This is a memoir of the life of not only Galileo's daughter but of Galileo himself. It actually told more about his life and his work than about that of his daughter. Both of his daughters were placed in convents at an early age. Maria Celeste was his favored child. She found her place there and was at home whereas Arcangela was withdrawn and there was no correspondence between her and her father. Maria Celeste usually included information about her sister when she wrote her father.



This book would appeal to anyone interested in this period of history. Its very easy to read, as it flows very well. And it contains so much information about the way of life during this time as well as the papal politics. It also covers Galileo's research and accomplishments as well as his personal history. We also learn about life in the convents at the time as Maria Celest was there from an early age. All in all a very interesting read, but as history is not my genra of choice, I'm not sorry I read this but not likely to revisit it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...