Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I, Lucifer

I, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the StoryI, Lucifer: Finally, the Other Side of the Story by Glen Duncan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Synopsis
The Prince of Darkness has been given one last shot at redemption, provided he can live out a reasonably blameless life on earth. Highly sceptical, naturally, the Old Dealmaker negotiates a trial period - a summer holiday in a human body, with all the delights of the flesh.

The body, however, turns out to be that of Declan Gunn, a depressed writer living in Clerkenwell, interrupted in his bath mid-suicide. Ever the opportunist, and with his main scheme bubbling in the background, Luce takes the chance to tap out a few thoughts - to straighten the biblical record, to celebrate his favourite achievements, to let us know just what it's like being him.

Neither living nor explaining turns out to be as easy as it looks. Beset by distractions, miscalculations and all the natural shocks that flesh is heir to, the Father of Lies slowly begins to learn what it's like being us


Review

I loved this book, but I admit it is certainly not for everybody. It absolutely drips with satire.



In this book we hear Lucifer's side of the story about everything from his fall to what happened in the Garden of Eden and even about the crucifiction. If you are easily offended about religious matters then this is definitely not the book for you. However, for those of you who are not this is a fun read. It has humor, sadness, philosophy, and ways of looking at things that I had not thought about (and many that I had but would never say outloud). I'm glad I took the time to hear Lucifer's side of things because it was difinitely a wild ride.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...