Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Needful Things

I was looking for something in the spirit of Halloween when I ran across Needful Things. What a better way to celebrate this spooky time of year than with the king of horror.







Needful ThingsNeedful Things by Stephen King

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I enjoyed this one right from the beginning as we are introduced to Leland Gaunt. The proprietor of Needful Things in the small town of Castle Rock. Gaunt is such an intriguing character. He is subtle in his business of lies and pranks. He has anything you could ever need and it all comes at a price. Always reminding me of that song Sympathy For the Devil.

This book really wasn't a horror story per se as the real horror is human greed which is all too real. People will kill for their possessions and put materials things often before loved ones. Gaunt has a way of playing on this greed and the price is much more than what's on the sticker.

This book, while a fun read, was quite a challenge at 700+ pages. Its not a quick read if that's what you are looking for. And there were references to prior stories that had taken place in Castle Rock that I hadn't read yet. Some I knew from movies I had seen, others I didn't get at all.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. And if you have plenty of time on your hands and enjoy a creepy read then you should try this one. This is a fun read, but by no means a quick one.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...